Friday, July 6, 2012

Flannel Friday: The Possibilities are Endless

Y'all!

We got a new flannel board! I have been asking for a new one since I started working here and look what just got delivered.

She is a beauty: flannel on one side, chalk/magnet on the other. The possibilities are truly endless. I might even splurge on office chair wheels!

Let's back up a moment and take a look at our old set up.

Yup, that's a large reference book holding the board upright. I was always terrified that a small child would pull it over on top of themselves. I often did finger plays or songs one handed while holding up the board just in case someone got a little too curious. And needless to say, it went right back into hiding as soon as story time cleared out.

But this new one? It can stay out all day long for EVERYONE to use, not just the story time crowd. To that end, I've come up with four basic flannel boards that I'll rotate through on a weekly basis, so there will always be something new and exciting to see, touch and explore.

The first one is the dragon set that I showcased a while back. I finally found a use for them!



The second is a set of "building blocks" first seen at Mel's Desk and Storytime Katie.





The third is a collection that I'm calling "Things that Go." It has cars, trains, ships, bicycles, airplanes and even a hot air balloon. I used embroidery floss on the School Bus and Fire Engine to add the words.






And the last one is a bunch of animals. I tried to make these exciting ones, like giraffes and alligators, that don't normally find a place in story time flannels.



There are two of each animal, each facing the opposite way, except the elephant. I didn't like how his buddy turned out. I'm particularly enamored with these guys though!




And there you go, flannel fun for all ages!

The Flannel Friday Round-Up is be hosted by Miss Mary Liberry today. For more information about Flannel Friday, check out the website!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your new flannel board! I am sure the kids will love it ~ especially since you are leaving it out for them to play with!

    If you add wheels, I would suggest making sure they have sturdy locks on them. My storytime friends love trying to push our board around the room if I forget to lock the wheels. Somehow they always know when I forget! LOL!

    I adore your colorful animals! So cute!

    Thanks for sharing your exciting news and fun ideas. Hope you have a lovely weekend!
    ~ K ~
    http://librarystorytimeabcs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete