Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

2011 has been a big year for me. I graduated and started my big girl career this year. I fell in love and had my heart broken this year. Pinterest happened. That alone would make 2011 a banner year. But I also met a lot of amazing people, and some not-so amazing people too. Books were read, crafts constructed and dance parties danced. Through it all I've been supported by the best family and friends I could ever ask for.

And now it's time to look ahead to 2012; I want 2012 to be even better than 2011 and with none of that whole broken heart business. Seriously y'all, that sucks.

Resolutions for the Library:

1) Read more elementary and middle grade fiction. Even the series. I am shockingly behind on Geronimo Stiltonand the 5 bajillon read-a-likes that Diary of a Wimpy Kid has spawned.

2) Plan more programs for school age kids. Ones that don't include me feeding them. It is unbelievably hard to tear these kids away from the computer if I'm not willing to get them hopped up on sugar. But I'm going to keep trying.

3) Try themed story times. I get in a comfortable rut with the same set of books, flannels and songs that I really like so themes will force me to try new ideas outside of my comfort zone.

4) Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. This bastardized latin phrase kept popping up this year, first in my re-read of The Handmaid's Tale and then again in the more recent Saving June. I'm not going to let the bastards grind me down anymore. No kids, parents, nannies, or co-workers will get to me or make cry this year. Like a duck everything is going to roll off my back. That's the idea anyway.

Resolutions for Myself:

1) Read more books written for adults. Seriously. It's time.

2) Figure out this quilting thing. And learn to knit in the round.

3) Open the Etsy shop I've been talking about forevers.

4) Go see Hunger Games at midnight.

5) Watch the new season of Downton Abbey, and play catch up with all the other series I've been meaning to watch and haven't gotten around to.

6) Get this grown-up thing figured out. Like my dental insurance and the 500 page union contract I was handed this morning.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE DOWNTON ABBEY. And The Handmaid's Tale.

    Re: reading more adult novels: I recommend Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon for vanyness, The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker for wtf and footnotes, and She Came to Stay by Simone de Beauvoir for beauty, existentialism, and wistfulness.

    Also, what are flannels?

    ReplyDelete