Friday, January 11, 2013

Flannel Friday: Michael Finnegan

This flannel set comes from way back in November when my library system was still celebrating the countries of the European Union. One of our story time moms is from Ireland, and with her help I was able to plan a pretty successful program using traditional legends and songs (you should have seen my paper bag puppet version of The Giant's Causeway). But she didn't help me pick this song. This is just a song I used to drive my parents crazy with when I was little. It's a nonsense tongue twister with no end about a guy named Michael Finnegan.

There was a man named Michael Finnegan. 


He grew whiskers on his chin-again. Wind came along and blew them in-again. 


Poor old Michael Finnegan. Begin again.


There was a man named Michael Finnegan. He went fishing with a pin-again. Caught a fish but it got off again.




Poor old Michael Finnegan. Begin again.


There was a man named Michael Finnegan. He got fat and then got thin again. Then he died and had to begin again.

Poor old Michael Finnegan. Begin again.

There was a man named Michael Finnegan. He grew whiskers on his chin again. The wind came along and blew them off again.



Poor old Michael Finnegan. Begin again.

And you get the idea.


Flannel Friday is hosted today by K Leigh at Storytime ABCs. As always you can find out more about Flannel Friday, and browse past round-ups by visiting the official website.





6 comments:

  1. This is really cute. I love this rhyme/song. I use Jim Gill's "Lucy Finnegan" song in my toddler storytime. Since toddlers love to spin, it is great for music & movement at the end of storytime. It is also a good song for switching out names and singing about individual children (which I do at home with my kids).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy, I remember the song from my own childhood, but didn't know there was more than one verse though - thanks or the trip down memory lane (fantastic Michael btw).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song (and your flannel). I also want very badly to see your paper bag puppet version of the Giant's Causeway because that sounds incredible. I studied abroad in Ireland during college and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well,FF friends, I am old enough to have done this song with my story time kids many moons ago. Haven't done it in years, (decades!-yes, that's plural) but now...that I see the flannel version...we'll just call me inspired!! I am giggling that he is a blueman!!! ~ jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the song with the flannel that you put together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael's glasses really make this flannelboard for me.

    ReplyDelete