Tuesday, January 15, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

And now that I'm done looking back on 2012, I can look forward to 2013. I made a lot of resolutions last year and while I did a good job on some of them (yay for programming and themed story times!) I did not do as well as hoped on others and I still haven't figured out my dental insurance. That'll go to my number one priority in my personal life but I have a few more for my library life.

1) Read more elementary and middle grade fiction. 
Yup, again with this one. I did slightly better last year than in years past, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be. I want to go back and pick up some classics I missed when I was a child (True Confession: I've never read A Wrinkle in Time) and do a better job of staying on top of the new books coming through my library on a pretty regular basis.

2) Keep track of the books that I do read.
I need to start keeping a list. Or something. Just a place where I can keep track of what I've read and if I'm feeling super fancy what I thought
 of it. GoodReads has proven too much for me in the past, but maybe this is the year I'll finally lick it.

3) Rejoin ALA.
I know, I'm literally the worst librarian ever. I had a student membership while I was in school, but when it expired I just let it go and never bothered to rejoin as an actual, factual librarian. But I will this year.

4) Use the internet more.
That sounds silly given how much time I spend scouring Pinterest for craft and program ideas, reading other library blogs and writing my own. BUT. I am truly awful at using my library system's blog. I forget to put programs into our calendar and don't do nearly enough programs recaps or book reviews. In fact, as of this post, the last entry on our branches homepage was from September 25 (everyone on staff is supposed to update so it's not like I'm the only one at work who is bad at this) and my last entry is from September 10. I'm going to try and post SOMETHING (book review, program recap, story time songs/finger plays) at least twice a month in 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment