Friday, June 8, 2012

Flannel Friday: Mouse's First Summer

I'm a big fan of using flannel boards to add dimension and interest to otherwise too-long picture books during story time. I was a big fan of K's version of Little Mouse's First Spring at Storytime ABCs and couldn't wait to try my hand at Lauren Thompson's summer entry in the Little Mouse series. It went over reallllly well, and I can't wait to try flannelizing some of Little Mouse's other firsts.

When Mouse and Minka go out on a summer day they discover...

Juicy, red watermelon



bold, black ants


green grass


Bright, blue sky


An orange kite (Don't let go!)


Tart lemonade


Crumbly white bread that flips over to reveal... an open-faced peanut butter and jelly sandwich
(I took some liberties with this one)



Lightening bugs


Fireworks





Put it all together and Mouse and Minka say "Hooray for summer!"

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaw! Thank you, Lucy, for mentioning my version of Mouse's First Spring. I adore Mouse and Minka!

    You in turn have inspired me to make a set for Mouse's First Summer. I hadn't even thought of the book yet this summer ~ which is unusual for me because the series is usually my go-to books. Thanks for the reminder!

    I love your flannels! Such intricate details! I especially like the reversible bread and the fireworks. Great job!

    I hope you have a lovely weekend!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love the Mouse books and now both K and Lucy have added to my list of Flannels to make. thank you ~ jane

    ReplyDelete