Thursday, June 28, 2012

Theme Thursday: I Got My New Shoes On

There was a lot of programming going on last week, so when it came time to plan a Theme Thursday I was at a loss. I settled on "Hands and Feet" but as I was going through books and songs quickly came to the conclusion that there was plenty of material for a story time all about shoes and a surprising number of books about white shoes that turn different colors.

Song: Good Morning Dear Earth

Flannel: Little Mouse

Flannel: Alphabet Soup- SHOE

Book: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin


Action Rhyme: Criss Cross, Line, Line

Song: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Rhyme: Old Shoes, New Shoes
Old shoes, new shoes,
Black and brown and red shoes,
1,2,3,4,
They're tapping softly on the floor

Book: Big Fat Hen by Keith Baker


Song: Grand Old Duke of York

Song: I've Got Two Shoes
 (to the tune of Skip to my Lou)

I've got two shoes, how 'bout you?
I've got two shoes, how 'bout you?
I've got two shoes, how 'bout you?
Tap your shoes like I do

touch, walk, run, jump


Action Rhyme: Big, Big, Big

Poem: I Had a Little Turtle


Book/Flannel: Baby Shoes by Dashka Slater



Song: Turn Around from Getting to Know Myself



Make and Take Craft: Dream Shoes


When in doubt, hand out glitter glue and stickers.

Supplies:
-shoe outline
-crayons
-glitter glue
-stickers

Process: After story time I handed out pieces of construction paper with a basic shoe outline drawn on it. I laid out the glitter glue, stickers and crayons and let the kids design their dream shoes. I had been working on the scrapbooks from our Teddy Bear Sleepover right up until story time started, so this wasn't my best or most exciting craft but it worked in a pinch.


Time: Prep took 5 minutes, including the time it took hitting the printer to try and make it work on construction paper. The craft took about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment