Friday, August 3, 2012

Flannel Friday: Pirates!

Pirates sure are popular around Flannel Friday these days. I figured it was about time to throw my hat (and skull and crossbones) into the ring.


I started by putting this guy up on the board.


I told the kids that this was our friend wanted to be a pirate and then I asked what else he needed in order to really become one. What do pirates have? As they shouted out each answer, I put it up on the board around his head. They got hat and eye patch right away and I gave clues for hook, ship and treasure. Once we had all the pieces on the board we started with the song.


This little pirate had a patch,
He sailed the seas without a scratch,
With an Aye, Aye Matey! and a Yo, Ho, Ho,
This little pirate sailed for home





This little pirate had a hat,
Where a skull and crossbones sat,
With an Aye, Aye Matey! and a Yo, Ho, Ho,
This little pirate sailed for home





This little pirate had a hook,
He used it to read a book,
With an Aye, Aye Matey! and a Yo, Ho, Ho,
This little pirate sailed for home




This little pirate had a ship,
He sailed the world in just one trip,
With an Aye, Aye Matey! and a Yo, Ho, Ho,
This little pirate sailed for home




This little pirate looked for treasure,
He wanted more they you could measure,
With an Aye, Aye Matey! and a Yo, Ho, Ho,
This little pirate sailed for home



The site that I got the song from has a few more verses that I didn't get around to making. There's something wonky going on with the host of the site, but if you scroll down, you should be able to make out the verses.

I also whipped up some beautiful pirate ships using the template that Andrea at Roving Fiddlehead Kidlit provided a while back. We used the color rhyme that she provided too!


Flannel Friday is being hosted by Liz this week, and you can always learn more about Flannel Friday by visiting the official website.

2 comments:

  1. Cute pirate! Er... I mean what a scruffy little scurvy dog you have there! I love the way he starts out with a doorag and then puts on his Captain's hat. I will definitely be adding the extra pieces to my set so that we can sing this song with our Pirate Pete from last week's round-up. I have at least 3 pirate programs next week so this will be a fun, easy addition!

    Thanks for sharing! Btw, I have a Pirate ABC'S (Activities, Books, Crafts, and Snacks) Blog Hop that I am adding to my site this weekend. I hope you stop by and link up your post. It is perfect for the Activities part and I think that librarians, teachers, parents, and grandparents will love your post!

    Hope you have a relaxing weekend!
    ~ K ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! My mom volunteers at my hometown library and she is planning a pirate party. I am going to share this with her. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete