Thursday, August 2, 2012

Theme Thursday: Yee Haw, Giddy-Up

Howdy Partner, this here's what we did for a rootin-tootin' cowboy themed story time.

Song: Good Morning Dear Earth

Song: If You're Happy and You Know It

Flannel/Action Rhyme: I Gave My Horse an Apple
I gave my horse an apple,
She gave me a neigh
I gave my horse a carrot,
She shook her head this way
I gave my horse a lump of sugar,
And she gave me a smile,
Then took me on a ride that lasted half a mile

Book: A Wild Cowboy by Dana Kessimakis Smith

Finger Play: 2 Little Blackbirds

Finger Play: Engine on the Track

Song: Shake My Sillies Out

Song: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes

Song:  Itsy Bitsy Spider

Flannel: The Colorful Cowboy

Book/Song: She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain by Jonathan Emmett
 

Song: Turn Around from Hap Palmer's Getting to Know Myself

Make and Take Craft: Create a Cowboy

Supplies:
-construction paper
-crayons
-glue sticks
-construction paper hats and boots (pre cut)

Process: The day before story time I cut out a bunch of hats and boot from brown construction paper. I gave the kids crayons, glue sticks and a full piece of paper to glue on the hat and boots and then fill in the rest for themselves.


Time: Prep took 5 minutes, the craft took 25.

2 comments:

  1. How did your group like She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain? I've tried singing it with and without a book with my story time audiences, and they never seem to connect with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked really well with this book. I kinda sang as I read the pages, and I skipped one or two of the motions. I made the kids find the girl on every page and we stopped to talk a lot about what was going on the in pictures. We did all the motions. They seemed into it. I don't think just singing the song would have worked nearly as well.

    ReplyDelete