Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sidewalk Chalk Explosion (and Ice Cream Sandwhiches)


I'm pretty lucky to work in a big system with awesome other librarians, some of whom are my friends in real life as well. A few weeks ago I was having brunch with another children's librarian and she mentioned having an ice cream sandwich party. Genius! It's sweet and delicious, but easy to control portion size and not that messy if eaten right away. You can get the snack part of the program out of the way early and not have to worry about anyone hoarding or getting more than their fair share. 

So I tacked idea that onto the sidewalk chalk explosion I kept scheduling and rescheduling all summer and we had a great End of the Summer party.

It attracted a younger crowd than I expected, but the toddlers and pre-schoolers had a great time dripping sidewalk paint everywhere and a few parents even got in on the action.




True confession? I hate chalk. I hate the texture and the way it feels on my fingers. I hate writing with it and that weird vibrate-y feeling when you color on concrete. Yesuch.
Which is why I left the actual chalk to the people who enjoy that sort of stuff and kept myself busy making and painting with sidewalk paint.



Oh, you don't know about sidewalk paint? Well, it is super easy. All you need is a cup of full of water, some cornstarch and a few drops of food coloring.




In a separate cup mix approximately equal amounts of cornstarch and water (you can always add more of what you need as you begin to stir and find it too watery or too thick) and a few drops on your desired color. 






Stir it up and volia! Water soluble paint for all your concrete decorating needs.
A few of my kids are the type that always want to know how things work and why- it's like watching scientists blossom before your eyes- so I let them help me. We had some spills but that's really not a big deal. We just added some horns and eyes and we had blob monsters.








Everyone got so into the painting and drawing that the ice cream sandwiches, which I thought was going to be the big draw, were all but forgotten!









No comments:

Post a Comment